One day ago I spoke of the new features that would bring PlexEarth Tools for AutoCAD’s version 2.0, one of the most practical developments that I have seen on Google Earth from a member of the Autodesk Developer Network (AND). Today it has been released the Beta version, which can be downloaded, tested and what is important in these stages: for reporting possible bugs.
What’s new in this version
Interestingly, this beta is free until the retail version will be released, -according to what some have commented me-, in early June 2010. One who gets asleep won’t download it.
It’s the best from what I saw a few days ago: it’s now available in Spanish and other languages supported by AutoCAD as:
Of course, this version doesn’t run on AutoCAD 2009 or earlier, but on 2010 and 2011. Works on:
AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2010-2011
AutoCAD® Map 3D 2010-2011
AutoCAD® Architecture 2010-2011
Price and licensing
I don’t know the license price, so we will know it until June. What I know is that it will not only be a type of license but will be managed a Pro and Premium, which I think is good for climbing prices. It was also reported to me by one of its creators, that they will offer special discounts to those who download the beta version and register it.
The Pro version: This will include the functionality to interact with Google Earth images, things that I have not seen being done in another application so clearly:
- Create a mosaic of images, either on rectangular regions within a polygon or along a route.
- Import image as a single element in the extension of a specific site.
- Export to Google Earth geo-referenced images in AutoCAD.
- Export objects to Google Earth.
- Draw from AutoCAD points, polygons or paths having Google Earth in the background.
- Scan directly on Google Earth, with an snap option to draw on the dwg.
It fascinates me how practical is this release, as it is now possible to download image in tiled way or also a polygon-based.
The video posted on Yutube is very handy, also shows how you can download raster for a sliding road in mosaic or even along a route (path).
The Premium version: in this, digital model features will be added still being with a basic version of AutoCAD, PlexEarth Tools adds these features that can only be made from Civil3D.
- Import terrain points and contour lines
- Create surfaces, this from points, breaklines or elevation texts.
- Calculation of volumes between surfaces
- Contours as in Civil3D
- Assign elevations to points and create 3D polylines along a path.
- Label contours, surface or volume levels.
- Also has a tool to read information of slope or elevation, and it is calculated the area or distance.
- Both these surfaces can be imported from Google Earth, or another program, as is the case Civil3D.