Formally it have been unveiled definite aspects of the scope and established dates for the release of gvSIG stable versions. It’s very valuable the answer for two basic questions:
1. When will it be released gvSIG 1.9?
- July 27, 2009
2. And when will be gvSIG 2.0 launched?
- September 15, 2009
We hope that the development effort will be geared to make light the platform, although being on Java because it seems this version would be in a good level of competition with proprietary applications. It has been published a list of improvements, of which we had already advanced some of them with the first impression of 1.9 alpha. Then here are the basics that has already been released through mailing lists and some forums:
– Legends for point’s density.
– Simbol’s Editor.
– Graduated symbols’ legend.
– Proportional symbol’s legend.
– Quantity by category legends.
– Simbology Levels.
– Read/write SLD legends.
– Based symbols’ game.
– Two different measure Systems for symbols and labels (on paper / in the world).
– Legends base don filters (Expressions).
– Creation of individualized annotations.
– Control of labeled overlap.
– Priority in the labels’ placement.
– Tags’ display within a range of scales.
– Labels’ orientation.
– Different options of labels’ placement.
– Support of the largest number of units of measurement for labels.
RASTER AND REMOTE SENSING
– Cutting data and bands
– Layers’ exporting
– Save as raster a view section
– Color tables and gradients
– Treatment of non-data value
– Processing by pixel (filters)
– Treatment of color rendition
– Generation of pyramids
– Radiometric enhancements
– Raster reprojection
– Automatic vectorization
– Algebra of bands
– Defining areas of interest.
– Supervised classification
– Non supervised classification
– Decision trees
– Image fusion
– Dispersion diagrams
– Image profiles
– New Languages: Russian, Greek, Swahili and Serbian.
– Integrated Translation Management extension.
– New Snapping.
– Cut polygon.
– Join polygon.
– New wizard for joining tables.
– Adding grid to a view placed inside a layout.
– Layers’ Recovery Wizard for those whose path has changed (SHP only).
– Online help.
– Possibility of hiding toolbars.
– New icons.
– CRS JCRS v.2 Management extension integrated.
– Improvements in the DWG 2004 format’s reading.
– Improvements in the hyperlink’s functioning and utilities.
– Memorize the path where the legends of simbology are.
– Include GeoServeisPort in the nomenclator.
– Independent distance units from the ones of area.
– Go into properties with double click.
It’s interesting that in this version have been included extension tools that had been worked in the Ministry of Environment of the Junta de Castilla de León that at least have:
– Polyline’s Selection.
– Selection by circle.
– Selection by influence area (buffer).
– Selection of everything.
– Fast information tool (when the mouse is quiet on a geometry, it’s shown a tooltip or sandwich with the geometry information).
– Multicoordinates show Tool (allows the view coordinates display simultaneously in geographical coordinates and UTM, even in a time zone different from the one selected for the view).
– Advanced Hyperlink, intended to replace the current hyperlink and that allows:
- Associate different actions to a same layer.
- Correctly associate various actions within a view (this does not work well in the “classic” hyperlink); by default includes the following actions: show image, load raster layer in the view, load vector layer in the view, show PDF, show text or HTML.
- Add new hyperlink actions through plugging.
DATA TRANSFORMATION TOOLS
– Export of subsets of tables to Excel and DBF formats.
– Add Geographic information to the layer (add fields like “Area”, “Perimeter”, etc. to a table with a couple of clicks).
– Import fields (import fields from a table in another, permanently).
– Transform points to lines or polygons, and lines to parks, interactively.
– Printing view, using template.
– Selection of the layers’ load order (it lets specify the shapes load over the raster by default, for example).
– Automatic Backup of .GVP when the Project is being saved.