The celebration of the 50 years’ comic has even reached the cover of Google, whose creative has done a brilliant adaptation of what is never lacking in these cartoons. To celebrate this, it has also left an unpublished version of 57 pages which includes short episodes.
And so it is, because there couldn’t probably be someone who did not have a copy of it in his hands and enjoyed at least half an hour looking each character of an arising fight between the blacksmith and the fish seller from that small village in Gaul; many of us have saved them as collection’s relics because all of the episodes are real creativity works. Until today, I battle with my children because they remove them from the trunk and want to give them the treatment which would have any another comic, certainly there are very good but, depending on when they are chewed for the first time, it arouse a sense of nostalgia and loyalty through its systematic continuity in 34 editions.
Like this, I really liked the Belgian comic “Tintin”, but it’s a sorrow the difficulty to find it here; after that version in which they visit Central America with their military coups… I could not get one more. In Obelix’s case, the combination of the absurd with history in a satirical sense and its high graphics quality makes repetitive scenarios fun. The characters are few and almost do the same:
- The out of tune singer who’s always tied at the end
- Obelix always hungry for wild boars
- The black Najo on the pirate ship … where it always goes wrong
- Throwing cakes and more cakes to the Romans
- Phrases like “these Romans are crazy”, “you fell into the pot”, “By Tutatis!” repeated at the extreme.
But it happens that the script’s originality and quality in characters’ definition, settings, names, and historical context are worth admiring, even though it’s recognized that characters were acquired by Goscinny, while studying in Argentina. The two characters Patoruzú and Upa, were both from the local environment. The same stories, as old as the fifties they have, still entertaining, so much, that they have become flash games and a film (I did not like it, by the way).
Thus on the fly, some of the most valuable scenarios I remember:
- When visiting the Americas with the Vikings, glu-glu and the Indian complaining because somebody gave him! Pow!
- When the nose to the Sphinx was broken
- When Obelix assembled a company at Menhires. This episode is a true classic marketing, I remember having seen it as an advertising course textbook.
- When the Romans become hairy by the wrong magic potion
- When it was celebrated the pirate’s birthday with a sausage
At the official site you can find games resources, reviews and more information. Among them it is the whole list of editions: